Ayr, North Dakota
Ayr is a small city, and a township, in Cass County, North Dakota. Founded in 1883, its population was seventeen at the 2010 census, and greater than thirty-five percent of its population was sixty-five years old or older.
Ayr is about fifteen miles northeast of Buffalo, twenty miles northwest of Absaraka, twenty-five miles northwest of Casselton, thirty-five miles northeast of Valley City, forty miles northwest of Fargo, forty-five miles southwest of Hillsboro, and fifty miles southeast of Cooperstown.
First named Elgin, the city and township were renamed for Ayr, Scotland, as the area was settled after a Scotch syndicate formed by a group of people from Edinburgh and Ayr, Scotland, purchased a land grant of sixteen sections, just west of the present site of Ayr. Several of the early settlers had come from Ayr, Scotland, as well.
- The primary source of information for this site was the "Ayr 100 Years: Our Community of Caring and Sharing" book, which was published for the 100th anniversary of Ayr, North Dakota in 1983.